Hope you're having a great week. Here are a few things I've been reading, writing and pondering lately. Enjoy!
Sponsored by Ahrefs
Ahrefs Webmaster Tools is….totally free!
For the first time, you can monitor your own site – backlinks, keyword movements, watch for 100+ SEO issues – for free. It’s like Google Search Console, but more robust.
This quick video explains how you can benefit from it.
Learn more and get started here
1. On the Law of Diminishing Specialization
This is kind of fascinating: software has turned us all into secretaries.
He identified several factors that explain this observation, but a major culprit was the rise of “productivity-enhancing” computer systems. This new technology made it possible for managers and professionals to tackle administrative tasks that used to require dedicated support staff.
The positive impact of this change was that companies needed less support staff. The negative impact was that it reduced the ability of managers and professionals to spend concentrated time working on the things they did best.
2. The Next 20-Year Cycle in Business Software
This is worth reading.
As a result, multi-billion dollar outcomes can now be built in categories where there is no obvious executive level buyer. Who is the executive in charge of “collaboration”, “communication”, or “productivity”? There isn’t one! But companies such as Slack, Airtable, and Wrike have built $100M+ ARR companies through bottom-up adoption by individual workers and teams willing to swipe a credit card to improve their quality of life.
3. Indie Hackers founder Courtland Allen on building profitable businesses & entrepreneurship in the US
Two things to like here:
- Courtland Allen built Indie Hackers, which is a really cool community. The site was acquired by Stripe.
- Li Jin and Nathan Baschez are building Means of Creation, a weekly show about the "passion economy."
4. Tweet of the Week
5. Random Links
- We're doing an AMA with Kane Jamison in the CMCG Slack community today. Come hang out!
- The 50 best podcasts of 2020
- How to Create Better Content Briefs, Faster
- Your brain is not for thinking
- Has anyone checked out the Marginal Revolution textbook?
Have a great weekend!
The Bulletin Board
- I started a business called Superpath. We help content marketers hone their skills with our courses, networking, office hours, content and community. You can check it out here.
- I started a Slack community for content marketers. It's free and there are 1,800+ wonderful people sharing, learning and looking out for each other. Learn more here.
- Want to brush up on your content marketing skillz? Check out my course 5 Days to Better Content Marketing. Join 400+ people that have taken and enjoyed it.
- I’ve had some great folks sponsor this newsletter lately. If you’re interested in promoting your product or service to 4,000+ incredibly smart people, reply to this email to chat more.