Hope you're having a great week. Here are a few things I've been reading, writing and pondering lately. Enjoy!
My favorite SEO Chrome extension
Yes, this is sponsored but I genuinely love Glen Allsopp's (aka @viperchill) Detailed SEO Chrome extension. It's my go-to tool for checking on-page SEO for my sites and our customer's sites. Just recently, I used it to:
- find a Schema error on a client site
- inspect some H2s that actually ended up being H1s
- discover some messy internal links
I really can't recommend this tool enough. It's used by 7,000+ people working in SEO and totally free. Click here to read more about it and add to Chrome.
1. Marketing Exists to Make Sales Easier
I would never have believed this if I hadn’t spent the last two years selling. Now I know it to be true.
Being a math type, I love deriving things from first principles and this seemed the perfect first principle from which to derive marketing. First, you hire a team to build your product. Then, you hire a team to sell it. The only reason you need marketing is to help the second team do its job better.
Thanks to my coworker Ryan for surfacing this one.
2. Will You Choose Alive Time Or Dead Time?
I love this one:
Life is constantly asking us, Is this going to be alive time or dead time?
A long commute. Are we going to zone out or listen to an audiobook?
A delayed flight. Are we going to get in a couple of miles by walking around the terminal or shove a Cinnabon into our face?
A tour of duty or a contract we have to earn out. Is this tying us down or freeing us up?
3. Tweet of the Week #1
4. Tweet of the Week #2
So many great reads:
5. Random Links
- More on our (Animalz) new package: Consulting For Your Content Team
- I went down a major Dwell rabbit hole recently. What a cool site.
- This updated ranking factors report from Backlinko is great (as you might expect)
- Business, Interrupted - a great presentation from my friend John Miller (founder of Scribewise)
Have a great weekend!
PS - Want to brush up on your content marketing skillz? Check out my course 5 Days to Better Content Marketing. Join 400+ people that have taken and enjoyed it.
PPS - I started a Slack community for content marketers. It's free and there are 800+ wonderful people sharing, learning and looking out for each other. Learn more here.
PPPS - I’ve had some great folks sponsor this newsletter lately. If you’re interested in promoting your product or service to 4,000+ incredibly smart people, reply to this email to chat more.