Hope you're having a great week. Here are a few things I've been reading, writing and pondering lately. Enjoy!
Sponsored by Scribewise
Big branding projects can be exhausting. They eat up a lot of energy and resources. And when you’re finally finished—just when it’s time to start promoting your exciting new brand—all the momentum is gone.
It shouldn’t be this way. Scribewise has just published a new ebook detailing how to turn your story into marketing that works—without all the headaches.
Download Actionable Branding: How to Turn Your Story into Marketing That Works
1. How to speak Silicon Valley: 53 essential tech-bro terms explained
This is just so good. h/t @smalter.
cloud, the (n) – Servers. A way to keep more of your data off your computer and in the hands of big tech, where it can be monetized in ways you don’t understand but may have agreed to when you clicked on the Terms of Service. Usually located in a city or town whose elected officials exchanged tens of millions of dollars in tax breaks for seven full-time security guard jobs.
2. The Obvious Value of Communication is Perhaps Not So Obvious
Cal Newport makes the argument that in an efficient work environment, people communicate as little as possible, not as much as possible.
3. Successful v. Useful: Lessons on Teaching from Jim Collins and Peter Drucker
Most of us aim for success, but we’d probably get there faster by aiming for utility.
My coworker Haley Bryant is always tweeting good stuff like this. Go follow her.
5. Random Links
- I just finished No Shortcuts to the Top and it was great. Highly recommend this one if you like adventure stories.
- Anyone else here in Colorado? Wanna ski on July 4?
- This video interview with Chris Savage from the folks at Teampay is great. I learned a ton about how VC and financing works.
- Yes, yes, yes: DogCoin Mining by 2 Labradors
Have a great weekend!
PS - I finally relaunched my content marketing course, 5 Days to Better Content Marketing. Join 300+ people that have taken and enjoyed it.
PPS - I’m looking to partner with a few great businesses to sponsor this newsletter. It reaches a bunch of smart folks from places like Google, Apple, Spotify, New York Times, Marriott and Harvard. Shoot me an email if you're interested in working together.
PPPS - I'm now an official Ghost partner. I've been using Ghost to run my blog for years and I absolutely love it. If you signup for Ghost with my link I do get a commission, but you get an incredibly powerful and simple way to manage your website. Markdown ftw!