Hope you're having a great week. Here are a few things I've been reading, writing and pondering lately. Enjoy!
Subscribe to The Growth Show Podcast
The Growth Show explores stories like: What happened to the bot utopia we were all promised? How do you create a brand with legions of loyal followers like Spartan? And what really happens when you turn down 30 million dollars from Mark Cuban? Yeah, we’re curious too.
Check out The Growth Show and learn how real people have built a business, dealt with challenges, and even failed. You can find The Growth Show over on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you like to listen.
1. Your Blog Is Not a Publication
The best content strategy is the one that prioritizes quality and depth, not volume and breadth. You may think you’re already doing this—but I encourage you to take a closer look.
This is a glaring content strategy problem that I see over and over again. If there's just one post of mine that you read on content strategy, this should be the one.
2. How to Configure Your iPhone to Work for You, Not Against You
This article is....complete. I learned a ton. I won't spoil it, just go check it out for yourself.
3. When the Topic Cluster Model Doesn’t Work
I'm a huge fan of the hub and spoke model to rank for competitive keywords, but this article lays out some scenarios where it doesn't make sense. Good reading for anyone working in content or SEO.
A good sniff test here is if you’re trying to get the page you’re working on to rank for a long-tail keyword, it’s not a pillar page. If the page you’re working on explores a very narrow topic in great depth, it’s not a pillar page. If the page you’re working on touches on many aspects of a broad topic, it’s probably a pillar page.
4. Tweet of the Week
5. Random Links
- This is so funny: I’m Going to Close This Deal Using Business Words I’ve Heard Men Yell in Airports
- I haven't a chance to check out the Quartz podcast FWD: Thinking but it looks interesting.
- This is getting more and more tempting: How to Delete Facebook and Instagram From Your Life Forever
- Casey Neistat's recent video with Jocko Willink is pretty interesting. (I can't explain exactly why I find Casey intriguing, but he has 10 million subscribers, so I'm not alone here.)
- Just because: a dog crunching on veggies.
Have a great weekend!
PS - I’m looking to partner with a few great businesses to sponsor this newsletter. It reaches a bunch of smart folks from places like Google, Apple, Spotify, New York Times, Marriott and Harvard. Shoot me an email if you're interested in working together.