Hope you're having a great week. Here are a few things I've been reading, writing and pondering lately. Enjoy!
HubSpot’s flagship podcast The Growth Show has a new season! The host, Meghan Keaney Anderson, a VP of Marketing at HubSpot, interviews some amazing people like Rand Fishkin of Moz, Joe De Sena the creator of the Spartan Race, the CEO of Coffee Meets Bagel Arum Kang, and a bunch of other great guests.
You can find The Growth Show on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, Google Podcasts, or just say "Play The Growth Show podcast" to any smart speaker.
1. Treat Yourself to an Alex Honnold Binge
Alex Honnold is the American rock climber who climbed the 3,000-foot face of El Capitan without ropes. Thankfully, a film crew was there to document it all. That film, Free Solo, is out in theaters now, but if you want to learn more about this absolutely incredible feat, here are a few things to check out:
- Alex's TED talk: How I climbed a 3,000-foot vertical cliff -- without ropes
- A NYT video on the ethics of making a film where someone risks death: What if He Falls?
- Alex on the Joe Rogan podcast
Marketers should be equally wary and excited about the power of anecdotes. The narratives that drive our behavior and our customers' behavior can be used for good and evil.
Why does this matter? It matters because generalization is a widespread human bias, which means a lot of our understanding of the world actually is based on extrapolations made from relatively small sample sizes. Consequently, our individual behavior is shaped by potentially incomplete or inadequate facts that we use to make the decisions that are meant to lead us to success.
I'm biased, so let's let ProfitWell CEO Patrick Campbell answer this question.
This will almost certainly trigger anxiety. Still worth watching.
5. Random Links
- Here's a list of things that Automattic CEO Matt Mullenweg carries in his backpack.
- Just for fun: 100 Amazing Bass Lines
- I think runners will appreciate this: We Slow as We Age, but May Not Need to Slow Too Much
- How to Schedule Meetings when Traveling to a New City
- The Gladiator podcast explores the life of Aaron Hernandez. So far, it's very, very good.
- One of my favorite Animalz posts: 50 Things We’ve Learned About Content Marketing
Have a great weekend!
PS - I’m looking to partner with a few great businesses to sponsor this newsletter. It reaches a bunch of smart folks from places like Google, Apple, Spotify, New York Times, Marriott and Harvard. Shoot me an email if you're interested in working together.
PPS - I'm now an official Ghost partner. I've been using Ghost to run my blog for years and I absolutely love it. If you signup for Ghost with my link I do get a commission, but you get an incredibly powerful and simple way to manage your website. Markdown ftw!