Hope you're having a great week. A few quick reminders:
- I made a free email course on content marketing. (I just added a bonus lesson.)
- My latest post is about how to grow traffic 15% MoM. I think you'll dig it.
- Many thanks to Interact for sponsoring this issue. Check out their awesome tool.
Enjoy this week's issue!
Did you know Quizzes can be used to generate leads?
That's right, you can set up quizzes just like the ones you see all over Facebook and use them to generate leads and drive sales.
Interact has a platform that makes it dead simple to build and launch quizzes, with pre-optimized templates you can use to get started in minutes.
We have a special offer for Swipe File readers—just use code JIMMY at checkout to get 25% off any plan for life.
1. Secret Scents of Success
A Ramit Sethi gem on the unglamourous habits that successful people rely on and lie about. I love this article.
Why doesn’t anyone tell the truth about what it takes to be successful?
2 very simple reasons.
- Everyone would hate you. America loves to celebrate “effortless” success, so if you talk about the exact way you’re successful — whether it’s in dating, money, or fitness — the backlash comes quickly.
- These secret habits are so unconscious, you don’t even realize you do them.
2. The Ultimate Guide to Markdown
If you use the internet, you should know Markdown. It's a simple markup language that makes it really easy to format text for the web. I use 3-5 times per day every single day.
MacDown is my tool of choice. I also use Ghost to run my website because it's Markdown-friendly.
3. Soapbox Is My New Favorite Tool
Free Chrome extensions are usually minor conveniences. But Soapbox—a super high-end screencast tool—is a legitimate part of my workflow. I use it send videos to coworkers and clients regularly and I sort of can't believe it's free.
4. Must-Read: Chief Justice John Roberts’s Commencement Speech
Here's an excerpt. Watch it here.
From time to time, in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly, so that you will come to know the value of justice. I hope you will suffer betrayal because that will teach you the importance of loyalty. Sorry to say, but I hope you will be lonely from time to time, so that you don’t take friends for granted. I wish you bad luck again, from time to time, so that you will be conscious of the roll of chance in life, and understand that your success is not completely deserved, and the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
5. Random Links
- Timeless Business Advice: Be the Best and Charge Accordingly
- Here's a list of great newsletters.
- And here are some recommendations for standing desks.
- Vala Afshar is a really good person to follow on Twitter.
- Really powerful story: Athlete gets cancer. Athlete fights cancer. Repeat, again and again...
Have a great weekend!
PS - I'm looking to partner with a few great businesses to sponsor this newsletter. It reaches a bunch of smart folks from places like Google, Apple, Spotify, New York Times, Marriott and Harvard. Shoot me an email if you're interested in working together.