Hope you're having a great week. Here are a few things I've been reading, writing and pondering lately. Enjoy!
Here’s a realistic scenario that we’ve come across more than a few times. A content creator writes a piece optimized for a short-tail, top of funnel keyword—and it takes off! The article gains traction in search and pretty soon it’s lifting the entire site. It accounts for 20% of all blog traffic, then 30%, then 50%.
This seems like a good thing at first, but it’s the investing equivalent of an unbalanced portfolio. That growth begins to create risk: it can lead to misguided changes in content strategy and distracts from whatever business objective your content is designed to support
There are so many cool companies and remarkable people on this list. I learned a ton.
This podcast series from the New York Times is fascinating, powerful and hard to stomach. I’d really encourage people to check it out. Nikole Hannah-Jones is amazing.
5. Random Links
- “More than 50% of U.S. college graduates, regardless of their majors, are likely to work in sales.” Sounds like an empty stat, but this happened to me.
- Animalz is hiring an editor (this is a really cool job)
- The Muse is hiring a Senior Content Strategist in NYC
- The good folks at Fairmarkit are hiring a Content Strategist in Boston
- The r/AutumnP*rn subreddit is heating up (I censored that so I don’t trigger spam filters)
Have a great weekend!
PS - Want to brush up on your content marketing skillz? Check out my course 5 Days to Better Content Marketing. Join 300+ people that have taken and enjoyed it.
PPS - I’ve had some great folks sponsor this newsletter lately. If you’re interested in promoting your product or service to 4,000+ incredibly smart people, reply to this email to chat more.