Hope you're having a great week. Here are a few things I've been reading and pondering lately. Enjoy!
Swipe File Exclusive
If you own a bar and it isn't doing well, you call in John Taffer. If your marketing is struggling to succeed because your content isn't connecting with customers, you call in Scribewise.
The folks at Scribewise are offering the first 10 Swipe File readers to sign up a free Content Rescue. Their team will take a look at what you're doing now, dig in and do some research on your competitors and make recommendations on how you can up your game.
1. The Stockdale Paradox (PDF)
I came across this idea in Jim Collins' Good to Great and found it to be incredibly useful. It states:
You must maintain unwavering faith that you can and will prevail in the end, regardless of the difficulties, AND at the same time have the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your currently reality, whatever they may be.
This article is six years old and as relevant as ever.
17. Average gas prices today are lower than they were three years ago.
16. The average American now retires at age 62. One hundred years ago, the average American died at age 51.
15. As a percentage of GDP, the federal government was in substantially more debt after World War II than it is today.
14. Almost all news on the Internet is free -- even the really good stuff.
13. You had to be rich to get on an airplane in 1950.
Want to level up your onboarding, feature adoption or retention? You need progress bars.
Here's a very intelligent discussion about investing featuring one of favorite writers, Morgan Housel.
5. Random Links
- Here's Outside's 100 Best Places to Work in 2017.
- Very detailed and useful article --> How to Rank for “How-to” Keywords
- My friends at Appcues launched a very cool Production Adoption tool.
- Any freelancers looking for big projects (like 10,000 to 50,000 word ebooks)? Hit up Tommy Walker.
- Did you know that Mark Zuckerburg has made more than $3,400 per minute over Facebook's existence?
Have a great weekend!
PS - I'm looking to partner with a few great businesses to sponsor this newsletter. It reaches a bunch of smart folks from places like Google, Apple, Spotify, New York Times, Marriott and Harvard. Shoot me an email if you're interested in working together.
PPS — I made a free email course for content marketers. Grab it here.