Hope you're having a great week. Here are a few things I've been reading, writing and pondering lately. Enjoy!
Sponsored by Ahrefs
For the first time, you can monitor your own site – backlinks, keyword movements, watch for 100+ SEO issues – for free. It’s like Google Search Console, but more robust.
This quick video explains how you can benefit from it:
I've been Calendly customer for about a year but I had no idea about the backstory. Founder Tope Awotona has a fascinating background. I burned out this podcast a while ago, but this got me back in.
For more, check out this piece: Meet the unicorn founder that braved war zones to make his mark on the startup world
In case you haven't heard of the Peter Principle, it is:
...the observation that if people are good at doing their jobs they will be promoted. It follows that eventually everyone will be doing a job that they are not good at (otherwise they would have been promoted).
It sounds like a joke, but as this article explains, it's actually true.
Basecamp's style isn't for everyone, but I really appreciate that they took the time to write this down. Poor communication at work is usually the result of poor processes. For more on that, check out The Arc of Collaboration.
This is true for writers, designers and all other creatives too.
5. Random Links
- American mortgages are weird (and socialized)
- Greg Ciotti is writing for his personal blog again. I've learned so much from Greg over the years, I highly recommend signing up to get his emails.
- Endurance is a cool app that preserves your laptop battery.
- Bunch is a cool tool to help you become abetter leader in two minutes a day.
- "In 2019, every dollar Airbnb spent on brand and performance marketing yielded $33 in gross bookings."
Have a great weekend!
The Bulletin Board
- I started a business called Superpath. We help content marketers hone their skills with our courses, networking, office hours, content and community. You can check it out here.
- I started a Slack community for content marketers. It's free and there are 1,700+ wonderful people sharing, learning and looking out for each other. Learn more here.
- Want to brush up on your content marketing skillz? Check out my course 5 Days to Better Content Marketing. Join 400+ people that have taken and enjoyed it.
- I’ve had some great folks sponsor this newsletter lately. If you’re interested in promoting your product or service to 4,000+ incredibly smart people, reply to this email to chat more.