Hope you're having a great week. Here are a few things I've been reading and pondering lately. Enjoy and Happy New Year!
1. The Greatest Story Ever Told
No teasers. Just trust me that this is worth reading.
2. 10 years of professional blogging – what I’ve learned
A great post from Andrew Chen. These tips are simple reminders to keep on shipping in 2018.
- There’s always room for high-quality thoughts/opinions. Venn diagram of people w/ knowledge and those we can communicate is tiny
- Writing is the most scalable professional networking activity – stay home, don’t go to events/conferences, and just put ideas down
- Focus on writing freq over anything else. Schedule it. Don’t worry about building an immediate audience. Focus on the intrinsic.
3. Inside the Revolution at Etsy
An absolutely fascinating read about Etsy's recent struggles. Can a company balance an altruistic mission with investor dollars? You'll have to read this one to find out.
As Etsy grew, it eschewed traditional corporate customs in favor of a more freewheeling approach. Building consensus was more important than moving fast. Employees believed Etsy could be equally beneficial to buyers, sellers, staff and the planet. The idealism was infectious, and many people turned down higher salaries from other companies to work for Etsy.
Yet for all its efforts to stand apart, Etsy followed the established playbook when it came to financing its growth. Venture capitalists poured some $85 million into the company, making a takeover or initial public offering all but inevitable.
4. How to Relax Before Bed
Easy, just watch Bob Ross videos on YouTube.
You might think I'm being facetious, but a friend recently recommended this and he was right. Enjoy!
5. Random Links
- Deliverance from 27,000 Feet - I really can't emphasize how powerful and beautifully written this story is. Read on a laptop/desktop for the best experience.
- Solid article from Noah Kagan: I studied the Forbes 400 list and found out how billionaires become billionaires
- From Seth Godin: Kindness Scales
- Please Forgive Us at Blue Apron for This Week’s Meals. We’ve Been Having a Tough Time Lately
- Any backcountry skiers out there? I just got a touring setup and am headed out for my first adventure this weekend.
Have a great weekend!
PS - I'm looking to partner with a few great businesses to sponsor this newsletter. It reaches a bunch of smart folks from places like Google, Apple, Spotify, New York Times, Marriott and Harvard. Shoot me an email if you're interested in working together.
PPS - I created an email course called 5 Days to Better Content Marketing. More than 300 people have already taken it. You should check it out too.