Hope you're having a great week. Here are a few things I've been reading and pondering lately. Enjoy!
1. The World’s Best Content Marketing Resource
I recently re-joined the content agency Animalz and this week, we launched a blog!
We’ll be posting at least once each week and sending a newsletter on Mondays. Here are the first two posts:
Check them out and let me know what you think. If you like this newsletter, you’ll enjoy the Animalz newsletter as well. Rock on!
2. Why Hobbies Make You Happy
The Cut is reliable place for great advice like this. It might not be a groundbreaking idea, but it’s good to reminded of good ideas now and then.
Linville has studied the idea of “self-complexity” — or how a human sorts the many traits, roles, and other identity markers that make up him- or herself. She has found that the narrower a person’s vision of their “self” is, the more prone they are to depression and anxiety.
On the other hand, someone who considers themselves in a variety of lights — as a mother, sister, doctor, surfer, crossword-puzzle wiz, etc. — has less emotional dependence on any single one of these identity “baskets.
3. The Product Manager’s Guide to Behavioral Economics
Whoa, this post goes deep. Highly recommended for anyone who works in marketing, sales, design or product.
These ABCs are the three pillars of Pink’s theory:
- Attunement: Understanding the buyer, their thoughts, and their perspective. This is as much a function of your ability to empathize with the other person’s inner life as it is about extroversion.
- Buoyancy: Remaining optimistic. Asking questions like “Can I succeed?” in order to drum up intrinsic motivation and convincing yourself that setbacks are extrinsic, the result of external circumstances you cannot control.
- Clarity: Being clear about what your idea/product/service offers the other person.
4. Looking for a job in content marketing?
It’s a good time to work in content and copywriting. Here are a few great full-time gigs I’ve come across recently:
- Clearbit: https://docs.google.com/document/d/15TXDJutgYJtD8v3zeVZLJ3Q7pO4GmRIMnjhkCwQlEBE
- Groove: https://weworkremotely.com/jobs/6038-we-re-hiring-a-legendary-or
- Zapier: https://zapier.com/jobs/contributed-content-manager-Q1-2018/
- Copyhackers: https://copyhackers.com/careers/
- Animalz: https://weworkremotely.com/jobs/5749-content-marketing-analyst
- I Will Teach You To Be Rich: https://www.iwillteachyoutoberich.com/careers/staff-writer/
- Sumo: https://boards.greenhouse.io/sumo/jobs/649116#.Wlg6jGJlCEc
- Sales Hacker: https://docs.google.com/document/d/16T9q531p4X1tTWmeSGzwQ8tUIoHnoxFzLIX-hTSa-hg
- Slack: https://slack.com/careers/989514/director-of-content-marketing
- IFTTT: https://betalist.com/jobs/181314-senior-content-marketer-at-ifttt
- BigCommerce: https://www.bigcommerce.com/careers/content-marketing-manager/
And this list isn’t even close to comprehensive.
Here’s a quick tip if you’re one of the people applying for these jobs. Candidates that bring accessory skills - SQL, some design skills, an existing social following, cool side projects - definitely stand out.
5. Random Links
- I thought this was a really well done post: How to Shoot Professional Instagram Stories for Your Business
- Also cool: Does the N.F.L. Have a Usain Bolt? Here Are the League’s Fastest Players
- Dang: Domino’s Pizza’s stock price grew faster than Amazon’s, Apple’s or Google’s under its departing CEO
- Seems like a good idea: Stop using Facebook and start using bookmarks
Have a great weekend!
PS - I'm looking to partner with a few great businesses to sponsor this newsletter. It reaches a bunch of smart folks from places like Google, Apple, Spotify, New York Times, Marriott and Harvard. Shoot me an email if you're interested in working together.
PPS - I created an email course called 5 Days to Better Content Marketing. More than 300 people have already taken it. You should check it out too.