I generally try to get Swipe File out on Monday or Tuesday, so apologies for being a little late this week. Thanks, as always, for reading. Remember that this is a real email address, so feel free to respond with any comments, feedback or recommendations.
Enjoy this week's issue!
1. The Work Habits Manifesto
We’ve started to believe that technology gives us superpowers. But good work habits are the key to getting more done with less stress. It’s on each of us individually to invest in our work habits.
Here are a few I’ve been thinking about lately.
This is an amazing little menu bar app from Marco Arment (who also created Instapaper and Overcast). It quits distracting apps after 10 minutes of inactivity. It's a great way to keep clutter off your screen and minimize time spent in apps like Slack, Tweetdeck and email. (Many thanks to @nanoanno for sharing this.)
3. One Degree Off Course
"Cataclysmic failure generally comes from a series of small, correctable failures."
Tim Enochs applies an obvious flying principle to the goal-setting. Small changes, as he explains, in the wrong direction can be catastrophic, while small changes in the right direction make huge change possible.
4. The Principles of Immersive Single Tasking
I think that Cal Newport's latest book Deep Work is the single best resource for working more efficiently. His blog touches on concepts from the book, including this one:
If your mind has learned to check email every 20 minutes when at your desk, [psychology professor Art] Markman explained, then every 20 minutes it will automatically interrupt your current train of thought and redirect your attention to your lurking inbox.
5. Random Links
- Why Litmus Said “Yes” to Conferences via @unsalted
- 2017 Content Marketing Predictions from Our Favorite Influencers via @joeei
- 6 Algorithms That Can Improve Your Life via @manoushz
- Jason Fried: The Basecamp Founder on Bypassing Perverted Growth for Profitability via @Bonini84 (Basecamp apparently gets 10,000+ new signups per week. Insane for a B2B app.)
- How Two Brothers Turned a $300 Cooler Into a $450 Million Cult Brand via @bilsap
- 27 books every startup ought to read via @hnshah
- What we can learn from criminals via yours truly
Have a great week!