Hope you're having a great week. Here are a few things I've been reading, writing and pondering lately. Enjoy!
I've had trouble with productivity lately. I get so many emails and Slack messages that I struggle to make space for deep work. To boot, many of those messages are quite important: follow-up with prospective customers, existing customers looking for info, friends/peers looking to connect. Most of my business is conducted in my inbox. It's all important, but I can't keep up.
I realize that I need a better system (and maybe a VA). For now, I'm thinking a lot about this two-minute rule. “If an action will take less than two minutes, it should be done at the moment it’s defined.” The rest can be batched into blocks of "real" work.
If anyone has dealt with and overcome a similar situation, please let me know!
To be honest, I can't decide if "product-led growth" (PLG) is a legitimate class of SaaS business or just a trendy acronym. The gist is that the business relies on the product (i.e., freemium or free trial customer acquisition) to grow. But as this report shows, nearly all PLG companies add sales at some point.
I'm particularly interested in this because these companies rely so heavily content to drive self-serve signups. A PLG company needs a ton of traffic to convert enough users to free trials and then paid plans to actually grow. I'm oversimplifying this—many of the companies mentioned in this report are massive successes. Did they consider themselves PLG as they were exploding, or was that just a retroactive label? Shouldn't all SaaS companies make a product so good that it drives growth? And shouldn't they all also look to sales for growth, especially for larger accounts?
Either way, if you plan to grow without a massive sales team, content is the only want to reach enough prospective customers to make the unit economics work. I highly recommend this report and especially for content folks.
3. Random Links
- We're hosting an NYC meetup. Interested?
- I recently talked to Jolly SEO, a company you can hire to send tons of HARO pitches on your behalf. You only pay for successful placements. Very interesting.
- @DanielZarick: Todo list secret 🚨: deleting tasks feels 80% as satisfying as completing them & takes 100% less time
- Amen @JayAcunzo: I'm so bored hearing about Elon Musk, Mark Zuckerberg, Jeff Bezos, FAANG, etc.
- 😆 @eriktorenberg: What’s the best term for the phenomenon by which people create additional complexity in order to preserve their role & importance?
Have a great weekend!
The Bulletin Board
- Check out the free Superpath Slack community.
- Want to brush up on your content marketing skillz? Check out my course 5 Days to Better Content Marketing. Join 400+ people that have taken and enjoyed it.
- If you’re interested in promoting your product or service to 4,500+ incredibly smart people, reply to this email to chat more.