Hope you're having a great week. Here are a few things I've been reading and pondering lately. Enjoy!
1. Why You Need “White Space” in Your Daily Routine
Preach, Jocelyn K. Glei, preach!
But what exactly is white space? Well, that’s up to you. The general idea is to zone out and reconnect to the blank canvas of your mind. A few ideas to get you started:
- Sitting quietly and letting your mind wander
- Free drawing with no specific objective
- Going for a walk around the block
- Doing a mini-workout
- Taking a power nap
- Automatic writing
- People watching
2. Profit Margin: The Most Important Number in Personal Finance
I've really been enjoying J.D. Roth's writing lately. He makes personal finance accessible and sometimes even exciting. This article is a great example of that.
You already know profit is the lifeblood of every business. It’s like food and water for the human body. Although proper nutrition isn’t the purpose of life, we couldn’t exist without it. Food and water give us strength to do the stuff that matters most. So too, profit isn’t necessarily the purpose of business — but a company can’t survive without it.
Here’s a secret: People need profit too.
In personal finance, “profit” is typically called “savings”. That’s too bad. When people hear about savings, their eyes glaze over and their brains turn to mush. Bor-ing! But if you talk about profit instead, people get jazzed: “Of course, I want to earn a profit! Who wouldn’t?”
3. The 100 Best Business Blogs
I found a ton of interesting new blogs on this list. Well done, Ryan Robinson.
4. Newsletter of the Week
Each day, the Aspen Institute sends me a newsletter that I really enjoy. It's called Five Best Ideas of the Day and it regularly puts new ideas on my radar.
5. Random Links
- Have you listened to Dirty John yet? What are you waiting for!?
- I just started reading Everyone Believes It; Most Will Be Wrong and am really enjoying it. It's 99 cents on Amazon.
- Just in case you've never seen this, enjoy: It's Decorative Gourd Season, Motherf*ckers.
- Sturgill Simpson seems to be the only person in the world that garners positive comments on YouTube.
- Random things I've recently bought on Amazon: a miniature guitar amp, an eye mask and a scalp massager.
Have a great weekend!
PS - I'm looking to partner with a few great businesses to sponsor this newsletter. It reaches a bunch of smart folks from places like Google, Apple, Spotify, New York Times, Marriott and Harvard. Shoot me an email if you're interested in working together.
PPS — I made a free email course for content marketers. Grab it here.