Hope you're having a great week. Here are a few things I've been reading, writing and pondering lately. Enjoy!
Sponsored by Buffer
How to Master the Vertical Video Format
Vertical videos are taking over marketing. Instagram Stories, IGTV, Facebook Stories — even YouTube is embracing vertical formats… Have you wondered what this means for your brand? Buffer has partnered up with writer, maker, and marketer, Owen Williams, to tell you all about the vertical video format and how to get started.
1. What Is Bottom of the Funnel Content?
Modeling the impact of bottom of the funnel looks a lot like retention analysis—it’s basically measuring dropoff. If bottom of the funnel content helps prevent dropoff, it’s working.
Here’s how we think about this: SaaS companies have all kinds of constraints on growth. In some cases, creating awareness is the primary constraint. But imagine a marketplace with more buyers than sellers, or a freemium product with tons of free users but few conversions to paid, or an enterprise product with a 6-month sales cycle. These are all constraints that content can help alleviate when applied correctly. And this is where bottom of the funnel content comes into play.
By the way, if you liked our post The Science Behind 100,000-View Blog Posts, you'll enjoy our podcast on the same topic.
2. When to work: How to optimize your daily schedule for energy, motivation, and focus
This is a great article, but there's something else interesting to note here. This is content marketing. And it was featured in the New York Times. Well done, Jory.
3. Understanding your Circle of Competence: How Warren Buffett Avoids Problems
I've shared this before, but it's worth checking out again. And you aren't a Farnam Street reader, I highly recommend their newsletter.
If you want to improve your odds of success in life and business then define the perimeter of your circle of competence, and operate inside. Over time, work to expand that circle but never fool yourself about where it stands today, and never be afraid to say “I don’t know.”
4. Podcast of the Week: Dr. Death
There are only six episodes and you may end up listening to all of them in two days like I did.
5. Random Links
- Ouch: "Slate makes more money from a single article that gets 50,000 page views on its site than it does from the 6 million page views it receives on Apple News in an average month."
- Wistia's One, Ten, One Hundred series like it will be very cool.
- We are hiring another full-time editor. Come work with us!
- Arrive is an iOS app that finds tracking codes in your inbox, then helps you keep track of packages you're expecting in one place.
- This is a cool post: Bridge the Attention Gap with Short Videos
Have a great weekend!
PS - I’m looking to partner with a few great businesses to sponsor this newsletter. It reaches a bunch of smart folks from places like Google, Apple, Spotify, New York Times, Marriott and Harvard. Shoot me an email if you're interested in working together.