Hope you're having a great week. Here are a few things I've been reading, writing and pondering lately. Enjoy!
1. How to Evolve Beyond "Actionable Content"
Just because content is not "actionable," does not mean that it can’t help you convert readers into customers.
The problem with “actionable content” is that it’s a commodity.
It often requires little subject matter expertise and lacks specificity. Actionable content is not a substitute for a cohesive content strategy. This isn’t to say that none of your content should be actionable, but if all of it is, it’s sure to be ineffective.
2. How to Get Rich (Without Getting Lucky)
This is a great tweetstorm from AngelList CEO Naval Ravikant.
3. Mary Meeker’s 2018 Internet Trends Report
An annual must-read, even at 294 slides.
4. Delightfully Unconventional Women-Written Newsletters in Marketing and Tech
A great post from Nichole Elizabeth DeMeré.
5. Random Links
- I had a lot of fun doing an AMA on GrowthHackers this week. Questions and answers are here.
- How to find an angle to improve your writing via @janerikasplund
- Lotta good stuff here: 187 Business Applications for Your Relationship Stack
- Vermont will pay you $10,000 to move there and work remotely
- An English teacher marks up a White House letter 🤣
Have a great weekend!
PS - I’m looking to partner with a few great businesses to sponsor this newsletter. It reaches a bunch of smart folks from places like Google, Apple, Spotify, New York Times, Marriott and Harvard. Shoot me an email if you're interested in working together.
PPS - I created an email course called 5 Days to Better Content Marketing. More than 300 people have already taken it. You should check it out too.