Here are a few things I've been reading and pondering lately. Enjoy this week's issue and if you're feeling inspired, pass it on.
One of the biggest challenges about content marketing is the disconnect between the people on the ground and in the C-suite. Content is art and science, not just an expenditure on the balance sheet.
So, how do you get them up to speed?
The excellent people at Scribewise have an answer for you – a new eBook called "Everything the CEO Needs to Know About Content Marketing." Download it free and enjoy!
People don't take risks by accident. There's a quote that provides some context for the science behind people who tend to take risks often: “We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training.”
This means we can get better at taking risks by preparing for them. "One of the best ways to increase the odds that you will go for it," writes Brad Stulberg, "is to practice taking risks."
This podcast is amazing. It's created by the same people that made Serial. I binged on all seven episodes in one day.
In case you need a little social proof, it was downloaded 16 million times in the first week. Trust me, you're going to love it.
A post shared by S-Town Podcast (@stownpodcast) on
3. A Gold Mine of Great Articles: You're the Boss
In 2014, the New York Times ended it's regular You're the Boss series. It's really too bad, because it was a great series. Luckily, the archives still contain all the excellent stories that were published. Here are a few of my favorite:
- Deciding There’s Nothing Wrong With a Lifestyle Business
- How to Be an Entrepreneur, and Stay Married
- My Quest to Create Pride and Joy in Work Runs Into Reality
4. Tweet of the Week
5. Random Links
- Polarized, no-slip running sunglasses for $25? Yes please. (My favorite are the Donkey Goggles.)
- CharliMarieTV is a really cool example of vlogging. (We need a better word for this)
- From Reddit: "Sure I could have bought a custom in-ground swimming pool for $30,000 but instead I spent 3+ years of my life and built this natural swim pond."
- Everything a new business owner needs to know about taxes
- The Cooper Review is a must-follow these days.
Have a great week!